The Scorecard tool will help you identify the strengths and weaknesses of your idea,
and provide you with suggestions for improvement.
It asks important questions, which often require further research to answer, so
you may need to make several drafts before you submit your final Scorecard for assessment.
Don't have a NIC ID?
You have two options:
- Self-assessment for an automatically generated score.
- NIC Professional Assessment for a 'screener's score', plus a detailed report that
*We aim to give you our Professional Assessment within 30 days. If we
need more information from you, then this may extend the timescale.
More about the benefits of using Scorecard
If your submission meets an NIC priority, we may offer you:
- A free “deeper due diligence” service, covering IP, legal, commercial
and financial aspects
- You will also be invited to meet us to explore how best to advance your idea
- Once you have built your business case you may be eligible for a development award,
such as a grant, loan or investment in addition to other specialist guidance. Please
read the Apply for Funding page in
If we are unable to take up your idea, we will direct you towards alternative sources
of potential help.